Saturday, December 13, 2008

No need to leave home



As Bujega mentions in his book, "The Interpersonal Divide," the purpose of a home is changing thanks to digital technology. Instead of being a place of solitude to get away from the outside world, the home is becoming a connection or portal to the outside world. We go home to check e-mail, instant message, check Facebook or Myspace, and to buy music. Bujega argues that this is not necessarily a good thing, and in terms of social and interpersonal uses of the Internet, I agree. But the role that digital technology has played in music distribution has been been mostly positive.




The biggest advantage to buying music online is the amount and variety available. At my local Best Buy store, the biggest section of music is pop/rock. This is a little inconvenient for me, as I listen to a lot of blues. Best Buy does have a blues section, but it is very small. I can get a much better selection of blues music through iTunes, and I can get it without having to leave my bed room.




And the same holds true for digital movies and videos. There are movies available on iTunes that I am sure I would be unable to find at any brick-and-mortar store in Fargo. And while the movies sold through iTunes don't come with the special features and deleted scenes like DVDs do, it is often worth it not to have to go to the video store, which may not even have the title you're looking for.




So while digital technology may be increasing the interpersonal divide through tools like e-mail and instant messaging, it has also been used to increase exposure to music and videos that people would be otherwise unable to get. Bugeja could make the argument that if you are buying music and video online, you are missing out on connecting interpersonally with the cashier, but that is a relationship I am willing to let suffer in the name of more music and movie variety.

No comments: